We love having volunteers on the Smart Farm!
If you are passionate about helping our community improve their lives through access to fresh produce and like to have fun at the same time, join our volunteer team!
What do Smart Farm volunteers do?
We keep you busy at the farm! We have two types of volunteer assignments available.
Farm support volunteers help with a wide variety of tasks that include:watering plants
- weeding plants
- washing produce
- installing landscape fabric
- placing drip tape
- labeling plants
- lifting and carrying flats with plants
Volunteer shifts are 3-hours long and we typically have 2 volunteer per shift 8am-11am and 1pm-4pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. We also have flexible weekend shifts to assist with watering. The farm support volunteer assignment is available May through October and we look for individuals available to volunteer weekly throughout the season.
Farm stand volunteers help run our farm stands. The tasks include:
- assisting in setting up/taking down the stand
- assisting customers with selecting produce
- bagging produce
- processing cash and credit card transactions
We will have two stands – one at the farm and the other at the hospital. The shifts are 11:00am – 1:30pm and 1:30-4pm. The stand at the farm will be operating on Fridays and the one at the hospital on another weekday. We will have two volunteers per shift. This opportunity is available June through October and we look for individuals available to volunteer weekly throughout the season.
How to become a Smart Farm volunteer?
Smart Farm volunteers are volunteers of Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital and as such are required to complete the following requirements prior to volunteering:
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator
- Provide a proof of COVID vaccine
- Agree to a criminal background check
- Attend Smart Farm orientation
Other considerations and requirements:
- The minimum volunteer age is 16.
- We ask volunteers to commit to one shift per week and volunteer weekly during the season.
- Gardening experience is helpful but not required – we will provide hands-on training to all volunteers.
To learn more about volunteering on the Smart Farm, please reach out to us!
Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital